Book your appointment with us to take the first step to an EU residency

Detre Varga & Partners LLP. is one of the leading immigration law firms in Hungary. 

If you're a foreigner, this is what a hungarian residency has got to offer for you:

Hungary is not a friend of refugees and immigrants from poor or crisis stricken countries. Therefore, the ratio of refugees and migrants is really low in the country. However, if a foreigner qualifies for a hungarian residency, through performing valuable work or starting a business in the country, the state and the local population is friendly and welcoming, no matter where you're from. Hungary does not share the idea of a caring, social state with the EU. Taxes and social security contributions are kept low, but in times of crisis, you need to count on yourself, have savings and an income that can sustain you. In our 12 years experience, Hungary is ideal for foreigners, who have a monthly average income of at least 3000 EUR per month, from employment, freelancing, remote work or doing business.

Let us explain you the main types of hungarian residence permits that we deal with:


Being employed in a local company is the easiest way to a residence permit. One example for that is one of our clients, SBS Kft. ( which has opened a welding school in Pakistan. We are managing the immigration procedure of welders, that have graduated from the welding school, and receive their residence permit and work permit to our client, the hungarian company. The employer provides them housing, transportation, internet, utilities, and a 2 years contract to establish themselves in Europe. After 2 years of practice of their profession, they become skilled workers sought after in the whole world. On average 3-4 welders per month receive a residence permit, and since the first company hired us, several other companies have turned to us to source their labour force from abroad, because there are very few skilled workers in Hungary, that can fill in positions of the growing industry. 

To get an employment residency

After the first year of employment, you have the opportunity to bring your family with you. If you perform a high value work with a high salary, and you have at least 10.000 EUR savings, you can bring your family right away, without waiting for one year.


Hungary offers one of Europes most favourable business environment for foreigners:

A business residency is issued for a period between 1-3 years, depending on several factors. In case of a business residency, you become practically employed in your own company, which means you become eligible for social security and tax residency as well. You can be the shareholder, the CEO and the only employee in your own company. 

To obtain a business residency in Hungary, you need this:


An investment residency is an ease, because you don't need a work permit, and you don't actually work in a company or elsewhere, you just invest a significant amount of money into the company, and live from it's periodical yields or profit. Hungarian immigration law is pretty flexible, so you can invest in anything, that may earn you enough to sustain yourself continuously. You can buy and lease real property. You can invest into a company, and receive income from your sharesAll we need to do, is convince the Immigration authority that this profit will keep arriving to your bank account. 

To obtain a business residency in Hungary, you need this:


As it's name implies, this is not an independent residency form. It can be linked to any kind of money earning residency (employment, business or investment) if the holder of that residency can look after the family member(s) as well. 

Book your appointment here, and get personalized advice for only 200 USD consulting fee personally from dr. Detre Varga, retired immigration expert of Detre Varga Partners LLP., who is one of Hungary's most respected and cunning immigration lawyers.

We receive many inquiries daily, and we work on a busy schedule. Therefore, we kindly ask you to understand, that we don't have capacity to consult clients for free, and we ask payments in advance, as we have requests from people we didn't know before from all parts of the world.  Before booking a consultation, you may read through the most frequently asked questions and answers. If you are ready to get started or still have remaining questions, we'll provide you links to book an appointment to start cooperating with us.

How long does a residency procedure last?

The law says between 21 days and 70 days, but in practice, the immigration office -just like anywhere else in Europe- does not care about the deadline at all. We can say, that within 3 months, 90% of all cases end with a decision.

Can I access informations directly from the Immigration office in english?

Yes, their website is 

Don't take everything you read there for granted, because they stick to the text of the law, and they don't share all their know-how and their real practice with you. To get some technical and simple information it is definitely useful to browse their site. 

Can I submit my application in Hungary instead of travelling back to my home country? I have read on the Immigration Offices website...

Though in theory you can ask for their approval to submit your residency request in Hungary, they rarely accept, and you only waste a couple weeks of your time. Instead of wasting it, book a consultation with us, and we will tell you, if you have the chance to get the approval of the Immigration Office to submit your residency request in Hungary. It depends on your case, and even the degree of the immigration office being busy and overloaded with work at that moment. 

How much income do I need to have a chance?

The immigration office does not care about the number you write on the application form. What matters, is the maths, if you can sustain yourself from that amount or not. We do skilled workers, that earn relatively low salary, but they have a 100% success rate, because they live and work outside Budapest, and have very low living costs. But we saw rejections, that came to us for legal remedy, being rejected with 1.500 EUR income, because that amount of money was not sufficient for the expenses that they themselves declared or betrayed in the procedure. As a general rule of thumb, we can say, that under 1.000 EUR you have a hard time to sustain yourself in Budapest. In case of favourable conditions, you may get a residency with a salary of 500 EUR too, but the chances deteriorate as you go below 1.000 EUR. 

How much savings do I need?

As a foreigner you're recommended to have an amount of money saved, that would be sufficient to sustain you for at least 6 months if you don't earn. So the amount of savings depend on your monthly expenses.

How much lawyers fees do I pay? 

There is no standardized fee. Immigration is a high value legal service, which makes it impossible to set up a "one price fits all" pricing. After a personal consulting that you can book here we'll give you a price quotation that is acceptable for both you and us.

Do I need to pay the lawyers fees if my residency request gets rejected?

If you work with us, you'll need to deposit the lawyers fees in advance, to give us a security, that you'll pay in the end. We've done thousands of cases, and we've seen people changing their minds to an other country, being invited to the U.S. or getting married and staying in their home countries. Until we can select clients, that understand this, we will work with clients, that deposit the lawyers fees in the beginning. If the residency procedure fails finally because of a reason, that is our responsibility, you get full refund, but if it fails because of you, or a reason for which we're not responsible, you don't get refund. 

Can I live/work anywhere in the EU?

With a residence permit of any EU country you’re as free to move, live, work anywhere in the EU as a local citizen. This does not mean you can slice döner in Germany one week, and give massages in France the other week, and work in construction the following week. As an employee or a dependant worker, you need to work at your workplace. However, as a freelancer, self employed or a company owner, you may live and work anywhere in the EU, and for anyone. This is granted by a hungarian residence permit.

I've read that you need to stay at least 91 days from any given 180 days, so more than half of the time, to keep prolonging the residency.

Obviously there's not much sense in paying for a residency, and not using it. There is actually a regulation like that in the question. There is only one small obstacle, which is that there are no borders in the EU. So until you stay within the EU, there is no way to detect how much you stay and where. By the way, most of our colleagues have no idea how many days they spend abroad in a year. Some cases happened, that because of family reasons, clients had to stay out of the EU for a very long time, like more than a year. In some cases, the Immigration Office has requested a statement, if they have spent more than 90 days in 180 days abroad or not, which they have made. They all declared "no", and the authority accepted it. However, this example is extreme. If you spend most of your time outside the EU for many years to come, doesn't it make more sense to get a multiple entry business visa? With the present legal practice, the immigration office does not really mind where you stay, until you pay your taxes and social security. Anyone can tell you that once you're settled down with a residency, the state does not really care about you any more, until you draw attention onto yourself.

Is it an advantage if I get married?

We do not deal with this cathegory, but in the early days, dr. Varga had many cases. Clients got married paying a decent amount of money for the fake marriage, they have got their residency, and later inspection has proven that the marriage was fake. They came to us for legal remedy, court appeal, and they usually lost in 1-2 years. For refugees, or immigrants with very bad conditions this may seem like the only way, but chance of failure and a 5 years ban from the EU are really high. For almost 6 years we have not dealt with even court appeals in such cases. If you've got the financial means to get a business residency, don't consider taking a detour through marriage, even if you get married. Because of abuses in the past, the Immigration Office would make your life more complicated than a business residency. On the contrary, if you marry a rich woman or man, and have nothing else to contribute, and the marriage is real, and you know each other wel enough to pass a 3 hours quiz about each other, than go for the marriage residency, as the only option.

Do I need a residency at all, or will a visa do it?

To get started, you need to understand the difference between a visa and a residency. Visas are issued in a formal procedure, where there is usually no legal remedy, and there is not even always much sense or logic in the outcome. A visa allows you to travel to the EU for a short period, that is not more than 90 days. Once that expires, even if you have entered the EU legally, you become illegal, as you are -with popular term- „overstaying”, that is staying longer than your visa allows. To stay more than 90 days in the EU you’ll need a residence permit. This means that for a specific period of time (1-3 years usually) you are free to stay in the EU, for a specific goal, set by you for yourself and explained in detail to the EU immigration office where you request a residency. You can prolong the residence permit lifelong even, submitting similar documents every three year. In our experience, if you do everything right, the renewal process becomes kinda automatic, and you never ever really need anything more than a simple residence permit.

What is a permanent residency or PR?

A permanent settlement permit is a one level higher residency document that means that you stay in Hungary permanently, and you regard Hungary as your principal place of living, taxation and social security. Permament residency is issued for a longer period, that can be 5-10 years, and prolongation is even easier than that of a residence permit. Unfortunately, getting it however is much more difficult than a residence permit.

Is it  more difficult to get a residency for the first time, or to keep it?

In order to keep certain groups of migrants out, they put obstacles in the way of simple people, that can’t even be considered immigrants at all, and that just want to learn, work, do business in the EU. On average, more than half of applicants will not do in Hungary what they actually say they would do, which makes the authorities understandably suspicious.

Can a rejection be turned into a positive decision?

Have you got rejected? It’s time to get things under control. Plenty of rejections are signed by immigration officers day by day. If you’ve got a rejection the foremost important thing is to note the date of receiving on the paper, we do it in the right top corner. You have got a deadline to appeal, which means you need to act quickly. We'll send you a quotation, what can be done, and how much it would cost you. Turning a rejection into a positive decision obviously will need more of our time, and more payment from you, than coming to us right away. We have a very good ratio fixing rejected applications, and yours can be the next one.

Do you want to get started? Let's book the first consulting session with dr. Detre Varga, our senior immigration expert.